The classic tank water heater is waste of space, electricity, and investment. It’s time to upgrade, especially now that the electric tankless water heater market continues to grow
, leading to more affordable and more capable selections. The industry is growing at a compound annual growth rate of nearly 7% during 2018 to 2022, with an estimated 4.22 million shipments in 2018
as opposed to 4.1 million in 2017. The best electric tankless water heater is going to save you resources, while maintaining efficiency.
At A Glance: Our Top 5 Picks for Electric Tankless Water Heater
During this period of growth, more technological advancements focusing on higher efficiency are coming. However, the models we have now are already efficient and cost-saving. Buying a good model is a worthwhile investment, as tankless electric water heaters are more efficient and have a longer life than their gas and tank counterparts.
With all the models on the shelves, which are the best value for your money? Find out what you should get by reading through our shopping guide here in this article.
Ecosmart ECO 27
- ✓    Self-modulating technology results in bigger savings
- ✓    Stainless steel and copper heating components are durable and efficient
- ✓    Can adjust its temperature by 1 degree F increments
|VIEW ON AMAZON →|
Bosch Electric Mini-Tank Water Heater Tronic 3000
- ✓    Convenient hot water heater
- ✓    Long lasting quality
- ✓    Great for small spaces
|VIEW ON AMAZON →|
- ✓    Has an economical price
- ✓    Unique design
- ✓    Gives you maximum control over the temperature
|VIEW ON AMAZON →|
- ✓    Relatively easy to install
- ✓    Has a compact size relative to other electric tankless water heaters
- ✓    Stylish design blends in with any decor
|VIEW ON AMAZON →|
Rheem RTEX 18
- ✓    Self-modulation unit automatically adjusts the needed power
- ✓    Copper-immersed heating elements increase durability
- ✓    Offers maximum temperature control in increments of 1 degree F
|VIEW ON AMAZON →|
10 Best Electric Tankless Water Heater Reviews
In this list we’re going to review some of the best electric tankless water heaters on the market. We’ll take a look at the benefits, and some of the features that you might still be hesitant about. You can easily skim through our electric tankless water heater pros and cons.
Overall, you’re likely be able to find at least one option from this compilation that will fit the needs of your smart home.
1. Bosch WH27 Tronic
Bosch is one of the largest manufacturers of home appliances in Europe. Thanks to German engineering, it produces high-quality products, including whole house electric tankless water heaters. Its WH27 Tronic model is a compact yet reliable tankless electric water heater with a maximum 3.3 GPM at a 55 degrees F temperature rise. It delivers an endless supply of water but for one major application at a time. Bosch promises a 97% efficiency rating with an enhanced scale resistance and minimal standby loss.
It has electrical requirements of 120 amps circuit protection through three 40-amp circuit breakers. The Bosch WH27 Tronic also requires a 240-volt outlet.
- You can install it anywhere, either for residential or commercial applications.
- It has an element modulating control unit that provides a constant output temperature.
- It heats water quickly and efficiently.
- It’s lightweight and a space saver.
2. Stiebel Eltron Tempra 29 Plus
- Some users report a delay of about 30 seconds.
- Cost of repair may be more expensive than the cost of the unit.
Stiebel Eltron also produces high quality electric tankless water heaters, and the Tempra 29 Plus is no exception. It’s a bit more expensive than other models, but that’s because it’s one of the best and most powerful in the industry. It’s a great investment for anyone looking for a water heater for their whole house and for commercial applications.
The Tempra 29 Plus, like others in the Plus series, has a digital temperature display and a knob for adjusting the output temperature from 86 degrees F to 140 degrees F. It has a maximum flow of 8.0 GPM, but it depends on the initial temperature of the water. For example, it has 3.0 GPM at 40 F, while it can provide 6.5 GPM at 75 degrees F.
It has electrical requirements of 240 Volts and 100 amps through two 50-amp circuit breakers. It comes with a 7-year leakage warranty and a 3-year warranty for parts.
- It operates silently.
- It’s compact and it requires no venting, an advantage over other electric tankless water heaters.
- Advanced flow control delivers constant output temperature regardless of changes in the flow rate.
- The auto-modulating unit provides constant energy savings.
3. Titan SCR2 N-120
- More expensive than other options
This model is a very small tankless electric water heaters, but that’s not a testament to its abilities. It has the most power among other units in the SCR2 line-up, yet it has an energy rating of 99.5% that will allow you to save money over time. It’s versatile and good for homes with up to 3 bathrooms It has a maximum flow rate of 4.0 GPM at a 20 degrees F temperature rise. It features a push button for setting the temperature, which the heater displays as a low-to-high graph.
The Titan SCR2 N-120 is ideal for homes in warmer climates, mainly due to its requirement of inlet water temperature of 65 degrees F. It has a 10-year warranty on water-carrying components. It also looks great and will complement other items in your home, like a good wine chiller
- Its installation is easy.
- It’s cheaper and easier to use than some electric tankless water heaters.
- It’s compact yet it has a great maximum GPM.
- It has a long warranty period.
- The sampling system delivers a constant output temperature by adjusting flow rate according to the input and output water temperatures.
4. Rheem RTEX-13
- It has a high inlet water temperature requirement, which makes it useless in cold climates.
- It has a high starting temperature of 105 F.
The RTEX-13 is the successor to the Rheem RTE 13, which is also one of the best electric tankless water heater options out there. Having said that, the follow-up does not disappoint, and it has already earned its spot in this list. Its small size makes it perfect for apartments, where space is scarce and propane-powered water heaters are not ideal. It’s 99.8% energy efficient, and it offers endless hot water on demand for multiple applications or single point-of-use.
The Rheem RTEX-13 has an external thermostat with a LED display, showing the temperature so you can easily adjust to your desired level between 80 degrees F to 140 degrees F. It has a maximum 4.0 GPM, which can deliver hot water to one shower and one kitchen sink. It has 240 Volts and 54 amps requirement through a 60-amp breaker.
- Has an economical price.
- It’s compact and a space saver.
- Unique design.
- Gives you maximum control over the temperature, allowing you to adjust by 1 degree F increments.
- It has durable heating elements.
- Rheem promises a simple installation and easy replacement.
5. Ecosmart ECO 27
- It’s not enough if you use multiple showers simultaneously.
Ecosmart’s ECO 27 is yet another one of the available electric tankless water heaters that’s more powerful than its size lets on. Ecosmart trusts in its product enough that it gives a lifetime warranty with every unit. It has a 99.8% energy efficiency rating, which allows owners to save 50% on water heating costs. It’s a great choice in both warm and cold climates with a 3.0 GPM at an incoming water temperature of 37 degrees F. If the weather is nice and warm, it can deliver a flow rate of 6.0 GPM or more.
The Ecosmart ECO 27 features a digital display with adjustable temperate between 80 degrees F and 140 degrees F. Its small size can deliver endless hot water to at least 2 showers at the same time or up to 4 showers plus a sink in hot climates. It has electrical requirements of 27 kW, 240 volts, and 112.5 amps through three 40-amp breakers.
- Self-modulating technology results in bigger savings and high heater efficiency than some other tankless electric water heaters.
- The stainless steel and copper heating components are durable and efficient, and it offers easy replacement.
- You can adjust its temperature by 1 degree F increments.
- It’s easy to install anywhere.
- It has a good value for money.
- The sleek and compact design allows you to save space.
6. Bosch Tronic 3000
- Its complex warranty clauses may render the lifetime warranty useless.
The Bosch Tronic 3000 is a point-of-use water heater that heats water on demand, which means it doesn’t consume electricity when on standby, like some of the best space heaters
in the market. It comes in four models: 3.4 kW, 7.2 kW, 9.5 kW, and 12 kW. Each one has a 98% efficiency rating with the 12 kW having a 1.8 GPM flow rate at a temperature rise of 45 degrees F or a 1.1 GPM at a temperature rise of 75 degrees F.
It has its uses in both residential and commercial applications, and you can mount it vertically or horizontally, whichever the available space allows. The Bosch Tronic 3000 has a 5-year warranty on the heating component and a 1-year warranty on others.
- Its compact size makes it a great option for small spaces, such as under the sink.
- It requires less maintenance and has a long life.
- Its sleek design blends in with any decor.
- It comes with a very attractive price tag.
- It allows you to save more as it consumes less energy while it produces more water.
7. SioGreen IR260
- It can only deliver water to 1 sink at a time.
- It doesn’t work on showers with the exception of the 12 kW unit, which may be able to deliver an endless hot water supply.
The SioGreen IR260 offers more than just endless hot water, it also helps keep your water clean. It has an infrared quartz element that keeps the taste of the water pure by ridding of the metallic taste that other electric tankless water heaters may produce. The infrared heating also allows for easy maintenance and easy cleaning. The water doesn’t have to make contact with the metal, preventing corrosion and build ups of calcium and limescale.
The SioGreen IR260 utilizes a liquid flow regulator to make sure to heat only what you need, allowing you to control your water and electricity bills. It has up to 1.5 GPM flow rate at a temperature increase of 30 degrees F, which can provide for one shower with an inlet water temperature of 62 degrees F to 77 degrees F. At an inlet temperature of 37 degrees F to 51 F, it has a 0.5 to 0.8 GPM with a temperature rise of 60 degrees F.
- It’s relatively easy to install.
- It has a compact size relative to other electric tankless water heaters.
- Its stylish design blends in with any decor.
- It’s cost-saving due to zero maintenance cost.
- Its thermocouple temperature monitor ensures constant output temperature.
8. Stiebel Eltron DHC E-12
- It’s not ideal for a large household.
Another quality water heater from Stiebel, the Eltron DHC E-12 offers on-demand hot water in both warm and cold climates. Its 99% efficiency rating allows for up to 20% energy savings when comparing it to a tank water heater. It comes with a 3-year parts warranty for residential and commercial applications.
The Stiebel Eltron DHC E-12 has a temperature knob that lets you adjust between 86 degrees F and 125 degrees F. It works fast so that you can quickly switch from a comfortable temperature to a level suitable for commercial health code use. It has a flow rate of 1.5 GPM, which is just enough for a hot shower.
- It’s easy to install due to modest electrical requirements.
- It’s small and compact, so it’s easy to fit into tight spaces.
- The self-modulating technology adjusts electricity usage depending on the needed amount of water, which saves on energy.
- It’s more affordable than other electric tankless water heaters.
- The electronic temperature control provides a constant output temperature regardless of flow rate.
9. Rheem RTEX 18
- The plastic outer layer is susceptible to cracks.
- It’s not ideal for large homes.
- Some users reported a delay before hot water comes out.
The Rheem RTEX 18 is one of the electric tankless hot water heaters that provide on-demand and endless hot water for multiple applications or single point-of-use. It has a 99.8% energy efficiency rating
It features an external thermostatic digital control with a LED display, which you can adjust between 80 degrees F to 140 degrees F. With a maximum flow rate of 4.4 GPM, it should be able to deliver hot water to 2 showers or 1 shower + 1 faucet in colder climates. It has electrical requirements of 18 kW, 240 volts, and 75 amps.
- The self-modulation unit automatically adjusts the needed power to reach the desired temperature.
- It’s relatively easy to install and offers easy replacement.
- It offers maximum temperature control in increments of 1 degree F.
- The copper-immersed heating elements increase durability.
10. Atmor AT-D18TP-AZ Thermopro
- Users reported that it can’t keep up with two shower heads, producing lukewarm water.
The Atmor AT-D18TP-AZ Thermopro is a newcomer to the electric tankless water heaters industry that offers safety on top of hot water. It comes with an IP54 certification, which means it’s safe against splashes. This allows you to install in near showers and sinks.
It provides on-demand hot water supply without using power when not needed, resulting in up to 50% energy savings as opposed to a tank water heater. This Atmor model also features a digital panel showing the temperature. It has a maximum flow of 3.7 GPM, which is enough for 1 shower and 1 faucet.
- It’s ready for cold climates with an incoming water temperature of 37 degrees F with a flow rate of 1.9 GPM.
- It has quality features for below the average pricing.
- The Smart Flow technology provides endless hot water with constant output temperature.
- It’s easy-to-install and easy-to-use.
- You can set the temperature in increments of 1 degree F.
- It’s not ideal for families that use two showers simultaneously.