Futons are the multi-tool of the furniture world. They function as a couch and a bed, giving you and your guests the perfect place to lounge or sleep without the need for several bulky purchases. Not only that, but the best futons provide ample comfort and unbeatable adaptability.
Whether you live in a smaller home, or if you just want to save money and space, futons are the best way to go. We’ve scoured the net and rounded up the 10 best futons on the market. They excel in different areas, but they all offer the perfect home furnishing for smart shoppers. Let’s check them out!
10 Best Futons of 2019
Here’s our list of the top 10 best futons available, as well as a snapshot look at their pros, cons, and overall summary.
This all-in-one futon offers unrivalled comfort and flexible positioning. It’s perhaps the best futon couch on our list and comes in a variety of colors and styles. The perfect choice for larger rooms and higher budgets.
- Includes a queen size mattress with heavy duty wooden frame
- Features 8” poly-cotton high density foam
- Adjustable positioning offers sofa, bed, or lounger style seating, as well as varying height levels
- Difficult to assemble
The Stanford Futon Set by Nirvana is the best futon sofa bed on the market thanks to its queen-size frame, cozy mattress, and great consumer ratings. It comes in a variety of colors and utilizes the highest quality materials around.
- Solid wood frame and comfort mattress are made in the USA
- Ships in a variety of attractive colors
- Includes a 5-year warranty and unbeatable ratings
- One of the more expensive options on our list
The Best Choice Futon Set folds out with a full headboard and footboard, making it the best futon bed for the money. It comes in a number of different colors and it the perfect size for most rooms in the house.
- All-in-one style makes it the perfect functional addition to your home
- Plush padding and hypoallergenic upholstery offer comfort and peace of mind
- Features a split-back feature for various seating styles
- Some users may dislike the firmer feel
The Studio Bifold is hands down one of the best futon frames for the money. Featuring tulip poplar wood, it’s uniquely designed to offer style and convenience with 5 reclining positions. Plus, it’s made in the USA with the highest quality materials and includes a 5 year warranty.
- Crafted from tulip poplar wood
- 5 reclining positions make it perfect for versatile use
- Made in the USA and includes a 5 year warranty
- Mattress not included
The DHP futon mattress features everything you want in a cozy sleeper bed. With 15-gauge independent coils, foam and polyester filling, and a microfiber mattress cover, you can expect a great night’s sleep every time.
- Features quality construction and comfortable foam filling
- Includes a microfiber mattress cover for a smooth finish
- One of the best futon mattresses on the market
- Futon frame sold separately
Nirvana is one of the top futon manufacturers and the Arden Frame is no exception. Made from 100% wood, the multi-stage finish provides a durable and quality feel that’s second to none. This is the best futon frame on our list, and it’s backed by a 5 year warranty.
- Features a 100% solid hardwood frame with custom crafted seat and back decks
- Multi-stage finish process offers a luxury look and feel
- Backed by a 5 year warranty and ships with optional expert assembly
- Frame only- no mattress, cover, or pillows
As the best Japanese futon on the market, this traditional mattress offers everything you need to rest or lounge in comfort. The convenient 3-fold design is accentuated by polyester padding and Teijin Mightop eco-friendly fibers. A classic choice.
- Traditional Japanese Folding Futon
- Made in Japan with authentic materials and exceptional craftsmanship
- Filled with Teijin Mightop eco-friendly fibers
- Thin design works great independently, but not with a futon frame
Mainstays is known for their quality furniture at exceptional prices, and the Memory Foam Futon is no exception. Coming in at an incredible price, you can expect all-in-one construction that’s both comfortable and functional. It’s the best cheap futon around.
- Features a sturdy wooden frame and metal legs
- Memory foam and suede fabric make for comfortable lounging
- Perhaps the best futon for the money
- It’s on the small side at 71” x 32”
The Kodiak Futon Lounger sports a unique design that’s perfect for sitting, relaxing, or sleep. This set includes a comfortable mattress, two matching pillows, and a durable metal frame that’s complemented by wooden supports. It comes in a variety of colors and is the best futon for sleeping.
- Features a 100% polyester blend with a comfy foam core
- Includes a mattress, pillows, and durable frame
- Adjusts to 3 different positions, making it the best futon mattress for sleeping
- Some of the assembly parts have been noted as fragile
The Divano Roma Futon features a stunning design that’s both modern and timeless. This all-in-one unit offers split-back construction, as well as a plush and comfortable linen exterior. It comes in a number of beautiful colors and has the best futon covers around.
- Ships with your choice of beautiful pastel covers
- Split-back design offers flexibility and convenience
- Includes plush fabric upholstery with a hypoallergenic filling
- On the smaller side
What is a Futon?
A futon is a style of bedding that folds out to create a mattress for lounging and sleep. They were first manufactured in Japan and are traditionally composed of mattress padding and a duvet, or cover. Since futons are pliable and can be folded and stored away, they make for convenient guest bedding and simple living.
Western futons are a little different. They still utilize the folding concept, but futons manufactured for US consumers are generally incorporated into a larger piece of furniture like a couch. This makes them perfect for living areas that require furniture for sitting, but they can also double as an extra bed for family and guests.
Types of Futons
There are a few different types of futons available for purchase, and each has its own unique style and purpose:
- Folding mattress. The traditional style, the folding mattress is great for portability and to stow away after use. These are often the least expensive and most versatile choice, but they’re not as comfortable as bigger units.
- Mattress and frame. With a seperate mattress and frame, these are easy to move and provide lots of comfort and durability. That said, multiple components are more cumbersome and the mattress may occasionally slide off the frame.
- All-in-one. As the bulkiest option, all-in-one futons are inseparable and are often permanent fixtures of a room. They stand up well to the wear and tear of everyday use and provide exceptional comfort. They’re generally the most expensive.
No matter which option you choose, there are many incredible benefits to getting one of the best futons for your home.
Benefits of Futons
From comfort and adaptability to low cost and convenience, futons offer numerous perks compared to traditional options. Let’s take a look at some of the ways futons can help make your home better:
- Adaptable. Futons are incredibly versatile, transforming from a couch to a bed in a matter of seconds. Perfect for lounging, sleeping, and a number of other possibilities. Your imagination sets the limit.
- Small footprint. Whether it’s just the mattress, or the mattress and frame, futons take up less space that individual pieces of furniture. Plus, some models can be stowed away out of sight, providing ample room and ease of use.
- Inexpensive. Futons start at under $100 and provide all the comfort and features you expect out of more expensive options. Plus, they’re much more cost effective than purchasing individual items at a higher price point.
- Convenient solution. It doesn’t get much better than multiple pieces of furniture in one single package. Stow away after use, or fold the frame to transform your futon into whatever the situation calls for.
There are obviously many benefits to getting one of the best futons. But in which room do they work best?
Where to Use Futons
Due to their unrivaled flexibility, futons are the perfect addition to most rooms. Live in a small apartment? Use one for watching TV or for guest bedding. Maybe you’ve got kids? Futons make the perfect low-cost addition to children’s rooms while doubling as a sleepover hangout. The options are truly endless.
Some great examples include:
- Living Rooms
- Guest Bedrooms
- Children’s Spaces
- Game rooms
Regardless of where you decide to put it, there are a few things you’ll need to consider as you choose the right futon for your home.
Choosing the Best Futon
How do you choose the best futon when there are so many benefits and options? Well, start by taking an inventory of your needs.
Ask yourself questions like: where am I going to put it? who is going to use it?
If you want to make it a more permanent part of a room, consider getting an all-in-one model or a mattress and frame. These provide the durability and comfort you need for day-to-day use and are recommended for most homes.
However, if you’re looking for portability and something you can stow away in the closet or garage after use, go with a traditional Japanese model or just the futon mattress itself. This makes it easy to use it when you need it, and lose it when you don’t.
Do note that if you choose a standard Western futon, there is usually some assembly required.
How to Assemble a Futon
Futons are generally easy to assemble. If you decided on a traditional Japanese futon, it’s just a matter of unboxing it and trying it out. However, if you need to set up a frame for your mattress, there are a few additional steps to follow.
To that end, we recommend checking out the following video by the folks over at Serta. While the manual will vary depending on the model you choose, all of them follow a similar set of instructions: