The best portable ice makers are a great way to take the party with you. They’re super convenient and ready to go in a matter of minutes. Plus, portable ice makers are efficient, affordable, and they don’t take up much space in your kitchen.
The problem is that there are a ton of ice makers on the market. What is the best portable ice maker among them? Read on to find out.
Top 10 Portable Ice Maker Comparison Chart
We’ve curated a list of the top 10 best portable ice makers of this year. Check them out and click on the links for product specifications and price information. If you spot one you like, look for it in the detailed review below.
|Image||Product||Size (in)||Weight||Reservoir||Ice Capacity||Cost||Popularity|
|YongTong Automatic Portable Ice Maker||9.5 x 13.8 x 12.7||17.9 lbs||2.2 liters||1.5 lbs/use|
|Best Choice Compact Portable Ice Maker||14 x 9.5 x 13||21 lbs||2.2 liters||1.5 lbs/use|
|Della Electric Portable Ice Maker||17 x 13 x 16||21 lbs||2.2 liters||1.5 lbs/use|
|Igloo ICE103 Countertop Ice Maker||14 x 12 x 15||28 lbs||3.02 liters||2.2 lbs/use|
|hOmeLabs Countertop Portable Ice Maker||9.5 x 12.9 x 14||19.4 lbs||2.2 liters||1.5 lbs/use|
|Allsees Countertop Portable Ice Maker||14.6 x 9.6 x 12.4||22.6 lbs||Not Listed||1-1.5 lbs/use|
|ThinkGizmos Stainless Steel Portable Ice Maker||16.9 x 15.7 x 13.9||25.6 lbs||3 liters||2.2 lbs/use|
|Black+Decker Stainless Portable Ice Maker||14.2 x 9.8 x 12.5||23.2 lbs||Not Listed||1.8 lbs/use|
|NewAir Portable Countertop Ice Maker||14 x 16.9 x 16.8||37.6 lbs||2.2 liters||1.56 lbs/use|
|Opal Nugget Ice Maker||15.5 x 10.5 x 17.2||44 lbs||1.2 liters||1 lbs/use|
Top 10 Best Portable Ice Maker Reviews
Now that we’ve had a look at the best rated portable ice makers, let’s go more in-depth to check out their pros, cons, and overall rating.1. YongTong Automatic Portable Ice Maker
Rating: Best Compact Ice Maker
Sporting a classic red design and compact profile, the YongTong Portable Ice Maker is a great choice for home or travel. With easy touch controls and a large-capacity ice bucket, The YongTong is a solid choice that doesn’t skimp on any features.
- Produces up to 26 pounds of ice per day and requires only 6 minutes per batch cycle
- With 2 cube sizes and an easily removable tray, the YongTong is a versatile portable ice maker ready for home or travel
- With a see-through lid and bright red design, the YongTong is one of the best looking ice makers that doesn’t compromise on features
- The ice bucket is not well insulated and ice begins to melt soon after the batch is done
Rating: Best Affordable Ice Maker
Coming in at the lowest price on our list, the Best Choice Compact Ice Maker is one of the best cheap portable ice makers on the market. Plus, with great features like a digital display and intuitive control panel, it’s a solid choice overall.
- Compact ice maker features a sleek design that can be installed and ready to go in a matter of minutes
- Creates up to 26 pounds of ice per day and works great in any space, including apartments, homes, dorms, and more
- Meets numerous government regulations like ETL, CSA, and UL, and features several safety features like overflow protection and more
- This model has been noted as noisier than similar size ice makers
Rating: Best Undercounter Ice Maker
The Della Electric Ice Maker is an ultra-affordable ice maker from a well-respected brand. Featuring your standard options such as 26-pound daily ice production and multiple cube sizes, the Della Ice Maker is one of the best home-ice makers around.
- The Della Portable Ice Maker features a smart sensing feature when you need to refresh the water supply
- Comes in a variety of colors and sizes, so you can pick the model that best fits your kitchen and other decoration
- Comes with several safety and efficiency certifications including ETL, CSA, and UL ratings and operates safely on or under the counter
- Quality control has been noted as an issue, so consider a warranty
Rating: Best Brand Ice Maker
The Igloo ICE103 countertop model is perfect for kitchens of every size. Plus, as a premium appliance manufacturer, you can expect great durability and efficiency throughout the lifespan of your Igloo Ice Maker.
- Comes with three sizes of ice cubes for any occasion- choose between small, medium, and large
- Huge ice bucket holds over 2 pounds of ice and is ready to take in over 26 pounds of cubes per day
- Stainless steel finish offers added durability and a classy look that matches most kitchen decor
- The Igloo ICE103 is noisier than many comparable models
Rating: Best Home Ice Maker
The hOmeLabs Countertop Ice Maker is an excellent addition to any home. With a sleek silver profile and an ultra-smart design, it’s one of the best countertop ice makers on the market.
- Depending on the chosen settings, the hOmeLabs ice maker finishes each ice cube batch within 6-8 minutes
- The quiet and energy-efficient model means less noise and less drain on your pocketbook and environment
- Choose between small or medium-sized cubes for the perfect drink every time
- Bucket does not keep the ice-cold, so you’ll need to scoop and restart each batch
Rating: Best Stainless Steel Ice Maker
The new Alsees Countertop Portable Ice Maker is a heavy-duty stainless steel appliance that functions beautifully. With commercial-grade certifications, it’s perfect at or during large events.
- Comes equipped with an autorun sensor that automatically shuts the machine down once the bin is full
- Equipped with a large bin size stores up to 1.5 pounds of ice, dispensable in 2 sizes
- Portable and compact design ensures that operates everywhere
- Ice dispensing system doesn’t always properly disperse the ice into the bin
Rating: Best Countertop Ice Maker
The ThinkGizmos Stainless Steel Portable Ice Maker is a top-rated appliance that’s perfect for your home. With a stainless steel housing and ABS accents, expect a stunning and durable machine that fits your home and life perfectly.
- Has the capacity to create up to 26 pounds of ice per day and produces batches in as little as 6 minutes each
- Using the intuitive selection panel on the front of the ice maker, you can choose up to 3 different cube sizes and store them in the 2.3-gallon capacity bucket
- Comes with one of the best warranties in the industry and a features a simple installation process
- The ThinkGizmos Ice Maker is very large at over a foot in diameter and a weight of 26 pounds
Rating: Best Looking Ice Maker
The Black+Decker Portable Ice Maker is a beautiful product that functions just as well. With a sleek stainless exterior and an easy to use LCD display, this model is one of the best portable ice makers of 2020.
- Produces upwards of 26 pounds of ice per day and can hold just under 2 pounds in a large storage bucket
- The unique electronic display lets you precisely control timing and water levels while giving you an array of indicator lights for proper maintenance
- Choose between 3 ice size options, making the B+D Portable Ice Maker perfect for home use, parties, travel and more
- Takes about 10 minutes per batch, a few minutes longer than similar ice makers
Rating: Best Portable Ice Maker for Parties
The NewAir Portable Ice Maker is equipped to dispense up to 50 pounds of ice cubes per day, making it perfect for party atmospheres. With a clever design and intuitive display, the NewAir ranks as one of the best portable ice makers available.
- Premium components and an ultra-powerful compressor means you never have to buy ice at the store again
- Self-cleaning feature maintains the machine and keeps it running smoothly
- Does not require a direct water line, so it’s a breeze to install and transport
- The NewAir Ice Maker is more expensive than many other models on our list
Rating: Best Ice Maker
The Opal Nugget Ice Maker is one of the best portable ice makers on the market. Coming in at a higher price than the others on our list, the Opal Nugget offers a huge range of features that are only available on this premium ice maker.
- Very intuitive and portable design makes the Opal Nugget Ice Maker easy to set up, move, and operate
- Large 3-pound ice bin with window keeps things cool and easy to see
- Unique Bluetooth option allows you to set up and operate the ice maker from your phone or tablet with Opal Nugget’s proprietary app
- The Opal Nugget is expensive and geared towards higher budgets
How Does a Portable Ice Maker Work?
Now that we’ve had a look at the best portable ice makers, let’s take a peek into how they actually work.
Portable ice makers are fairly straightforward, and they work much like the ice makers equipped to many refrigerators and freezers.
Water is pumped into the ice tray inside the portable ice maker. Through the refrigeration process, the condenser and fan work together to cool the inner chamber. Once the water has solidified, the excess heat produced by the compressor releases, and the cubes simply slides into the bin, ready for use.
What’s great is that most portable ice makers don’t require a direct line of water. Add your own and you’re set to go. The only thing you need to have is a standard 115v plug so your ice maker can operate. Since portable ice makers are uniquely designed to be fast and efficient, you should have your first batch of ice ready to go in a matter of minutes! Pour the ice directly into your drink or fill a small chest and you’re in business.
Benefits of Portable Ice Makers
There are many reasons to consider a portable ice maker for your home or outdoor area. From their ease of use to their speed and reliability, they are a great investment.
Check out some of the reasons you need a portable ice maker in your life:
- Portable. You guessed it! One of the biggest reasons to consider a portable ice maker is its incredible versatility. You can take it on camping trips, to your friend’s party, or just leave it on the counter. Portability means you’ve got options.
- Fast. Portable ice makers are designed to work very quickly. Most models take a few minutes per batch, so you can expect a full ice bin in a very short amount of time.
- Small. By and large, portable ice makers are very small and don’t take up much storage space. This means you can leave it in the kitchen, under the counter, or pick it up and carry it without hassle.
- Affordable. One of the best things about ice makers is that they’re ultra-affordable. Most name-brand models start at only $100, and that’s all you need to get started.
- Efficient. Portable ice makers are incredibly efficient. Most models are capable of producing 26 pounds of ice per day. That would cost you an arm and leg at the market and not be anywhere near as easy as just turning on your machine.
And that’s just the tip of the iceberg. Most models have extra bonus features such as automatic timers, self-cleaning capabilities, and more. Be sure to check out the product specifications of the model you’re interested in to see what it offers.
Once you’ve chosen the perfect model, it’s very simple to set up and maintain your machine.
How to Clean a Portable Ice Maker
We’ve seen how portable ice makers work and the many benefits of owning one. But once your machine is up and running, you need to consider how to maintain it properly.
Cleaning your portable ice maker regularly is an important practice to get in the habit of. Not only will your machine last longer, but the ice produced and the overall efficiency will be that much better.
Fortunately, cleaning your ice maker couldn’t be easier. Follow these simple steps to get a perfect cube every time.
- Remove the inner ice tray
- Clean the interior with an organic cleaning solution
- Wipe down the exterior with soap and warm water
- Dry the inside and outside of the machine with a soft cloth
- Reassemble the machine and run a trial cycle
Benjamin is a gadgeteer and homebody who loves writing about the latest smart home technology. He is particularly interested in covering smart home products that automate (or make more efficient) mundane tasks that every home owner and apartment dweller face on a daily basis.