Last Updated on
What’s the key to keeping your home safe and secure? If you’re thinking about getting one of the best smart locks of 2019, then you’ve already unlocked the answer!
The best smart locks add convenience, security, and an unbeatable level of comfort to your life, all while outfitting your home with the latest and greatest technology. Whether you’re looking to better protect your home, or if you just want to keep up with the latest smart home trends, smart locks are the way to go.
Ready to check out the best smart locks on the market? Let’s get started.
10 Best Smart Locks of 2019
We’ve curated a list of the best smart door locks of 2019 for an in-depth review of the best options available. They’ve been sorted by ratings, and each review includes a brief summary and snapshot look at the best features. Let’s check them out!
- 5-in-1 smart lock includes keypad, fingerprint scanner, smartphone unlocking and more
- Features an intuitive LED display with long-lasting battery life and bluetooth connectivity
- Includes an 18 month warranty and best-in-class customer support
Rating: Best Multipurpose Smart Lock
The Ultraloq UL3 is a feature-packed smartlock that’s great for folks seeking the most from their tech. Each unit includes keyless entry as well as a keypad, fingerprint scanner, smartphone unlocking capabilities! Best of all, it connects to your smart home via bluetooth for long-lasting battery life and convenience.
- Features z wave technology that connects to your home automation system
- Works with Amazon Alexa for seamless integration of your smart devices
- Touch screen keypad, door alarm, and remote access packs a ton of features in one simple device
Rating: Best Z Wave Lock
The Schlage Z Wave is without a doubt one of the best z wave door locks available thanks to its variety of features and economical price point. With a touch screen keypad, built-in alarm, and z-wave technology, your home is safe and secure all times of year. Integrates beautifully with Amazon Alexa for simple and easy connectivity.
- Lock and unlock your door, while keeping a 24/7 log of all activity into your home
- Create virtual keys for relatives and guests for added convenience
- Auto lock and unlock makes entering and exiting your home a breeze
Rating: Best Smart Lock for Alexa
The August Smart Lock is a small smart lock that integrates flawlessly with Amazon Alexa for easy control. With the ability to monitor the ins and outs of your home, in real time, you get guaranteed security and ease of mind. Control your smart lock using Siri with Apple HomeKit or utilize Alexa for whatever suits your lifestyle best.
- Keyless access and 24/7 monitoring thanks to smart lock and intuitive cloud camera
- Make spare keys for guests or create permanent keys for family and residents
- Works great with Amazon Alexa and the Amazon suite of smart home technology
Rating: Best Smart Lock for Home
As one of the top smart lock manufacturers, Kwikset strikes again with the Convert Smart Lock and Cloud Cam combo. Security will never be an issue again with 24/7 monitoring and easy integration with your smart home or Amazon Alexa hub. Plus, it works with your existing deadbolt for simple installation in a matter of minutes!
- LED touchscreen smart lock with simple keypad and easy access
- Z wave technology works great with your smart home and lets you access the locking mechanism from anywhere
- Comes with numerous security features for added protection and peace of mind
Rating: Best Rated Smart Lock
The Schlage Touchscreen Smart Lock is one of the best rated smart locks on the market for a reason: it performs! Z wave technology makes connectivity a cinch while the LED touchscreen is perfect for easy access and usability. Comes with anti-tampering technology and simple installation for security and convenience.
- Incredibly secure entry thanks to the intuitive code-based operation
- Create unique codes from your smartphone to give access to friends, housekeepers, and others
- Incredible ratings and customer support round out this product as the best smart keypad on the market
Rating: Best Smart Keypad
The August Smart Keypad is among the least expensive on our list, as it works more as an accessory for other smart locks. However, it makes the cut as one of the best smart lock products around thanks to its incredible ease of use and convenience. Keyless and smartphone-free operation means you simply enter the key and gain access to the house!
- Create key codes that let you enter your house without use of a key
- Fits all standard doors and installs in minutes with no wiring or complicated setup
- Comes in a variety of colors to match the decor and look of your house
Rating: Best Budget Smart Lock
The Schlage Camelot Keypad is the least expensive smart lock on our list, and it doesn’t sacrifice on usability. While it doesn’t connect to your smart home like others on our list, it still offers incredible convenience and ease of use. Create codes that allow you to access your house without a key, and expect total safety thanks to the high-grade residential security rating.
- Impressive fingerprint and touchscreen display offers unbeatable performance
- Away and silent modes offer additional security for long-term vacations or indoor quiet times
- Emergency power supply ensures you’re safe in case of low battery
Rating: Best Samsung Smart Lock
The Samsung Keyless Door Lock is a stylish option that comes with a number of features sure to impress! Fingerprint digital door lock, attractive touchscreen display, and mechanical override keys offer great performance with peace of mind. Plus, the automatic sliding cover offers a futuristic vibe that doesn’t sacrifice on durability.
- Keyless entry smart lock is compatible with an array of smart home devices
- Digital touch pad offers an attractive display that’s intuitive and easy to use
- Peace of mind thanks to physical key slot for manual entry
Rating: Best Touchscreen Lock
The Titan Locks Chronos is a touchscreen smart lock that makes entering and exiting your house a breeze. It works with almost all smartphones, and installation is dead-simple. Create and send keys from anywhere and get added peace of mind with the physical key slot for manual entry.
- Attractive backlit keypad offers easy access and great durability
- One-touch locking makes leaving your home as simple as pressing any key on the keypad
- Easy to install with no complicated wiring and includes a backup 9V battery for peace of mind
Rating: Best Smart Deadbolt
The Yale Keyless Deadbolt delivers incredible security at a fantastic price thanks to z wave technology and push button features. Integrates seamlessly with Amazon Alexa for smart home connectivity that lets you operate the keyless entry system from anywhere. Incredible ratings and reviews round out the Yale Deadbolt as one of the best smart locks on the market.
What is a Smart Lock?
A smart lock is a locking mechanism that operates via wireless communication. In other words, smart locks are controlled via your phone or smart home hub using bluetooth, z-wave, or wifi to perform the functions of your basic lock-and-key assemblies.
That said, most modern smart locks ship with a number of cool options and customizations that make them far superior to your ordinary locks. From touch screens, to alarms, to fingerprint sensors and more- the best smart locks are a great way to secure your house by offering superior control and incredible convenience.
There are a variety of smart lock options on the market, and finding the right one really depends on what you plan to use your it for. If you’re thinking about switching out your regular home locks for their smart counterparts, let’s take a look at all they have to offer.
Benefits of Smart Locks
Smart locks come in a variety of styles and types, and many different smart home manufacturers have jumped into the game.
As mentioned, you can find all sorts of different features in today’s smart locks. Let’s peek at some of the benefits you can expect if you decide to up your game with a smart lock assembly:
- Remote Access. Since most smart locks connect and communicate wirelessly, you don’t have to be present to lock or unlock your door. This means you can let guests in even when you’re not home, or unlock the house if a child or family member has been locked out.
- Convenience. Whether you’re unlocking the door via a tap on your phone or using a thumbprint scanner or keypad, the best smart locks add an unbelievable level of simplicity and ease to your daily life.
- Additional Security. Since it’s connected wirelessly, most smart locks add an additional layer of monitoring and security. In addition to the bonus features you can find in a number of smart locks, all of them give you added peace of mind and a sense of safety.
These are just a few of the benefits you can expect from outfitting your home with a new smart lock, and each model comes with its own unique technology that sets it apart from the rest of the crowd. Check out the product specifications on each model to learn more about all it has to offer.
If you’re already sold, let’s take a look at how to choose the right smart lock for your home.
Choosing a Smart Lock
So you’ve decided that a smart lock is right for you? That’s a great choice!
Fortunately, there are a ton of options to choose from, making it easy to find the perfect option for your home. Some of the top brands on the market include:
- & more
While each lock model has varying characteristics that make it superior in certain ways to others, they all function to keep your home safe and sound.
Prices range from under a hundred dollars to several hundred and more. Generally speaking, the more features a model has the more expensive it will be. Touch screens, fingerprint scanners, and similar tech will jack up the price quite a bit, so choose wisely to find the best financial fit.
Using Your Smart Lock
If you have lots of traffic in and out of your house, it may be smart to get a model that lets you wirelessly create spare codes, or one that has a simple numerical keypad. If it’s just a small family, a baseline model or one without a ton of bells and whistles may be a better choice.
And if you already have a smart home hub like Amazon Alexa or Apple HomeKit, finding one that integrates with these services is a no brainer. Think it over and decide what you’re really looking for. Once you’ve identified your needs and chosen the right lock, it’s time to get it set up and installed.
Installing a Smart Lock
Ready to start the installation process? Luckily, most smart locks can be unboxed and setup in just a matter of minutes. There are a few things to keep in mind, however.
The physical installation usually requires a standard set of tools, as it’s very similar to installing your typical deadbolt and lock assembly. However, connecting the lock to your smart home might require some tech savvy, and setup varies depending on your chosen lock and the type of wireless technology used.
Consult your installation manual with any questions, and check out the following video by Zollotech for visual step-by-step instructions. Their team has put together a great video on how to properly configure your smart lock:
Benjamin is a gadgeteer and homebody who loves writing about the latest smart home technology. He is particularly interested in covering smart home products that automate (or make more efficient) mundane tasks that every home owner and apartment dweller face on a daily basis.