Last Updated on
Is the heat getting to you? Don’t sweat it. The best window air conditioners will keep you nice and cool without breaking the bank.
Window AC units are inexpensive, effective, and super powerful. Plus, they’re incredibly easy to install, and a breeze to maintain. Don’t wait until you’re drowning in sweat to take action- be proactive and beat the heat!
Without further ado, let’s check out the best window air conditioners of 2019.
Comparison Chart: Best Window Air Conditioners
We’ve compiled a chart of the best window unit air conditioners for your viewing pleasure. If you spot one you like, be sure to check out a more indepth look in the review section. In both the table below and the reviews, all of the AC Units are in order of price range from lowest to highest.
|hOmeLabs Window AC Unit||5000||150||7 Speed||AC|
|LG LW6017R Window AC Unit||6000||260||3 Speed||AC|
|Whirlpool Window Air Conditioner||5000||150||2 Speed||AC|
|Della Window Mounted Air Conditioner||8000||350||4 Speed||AC|
|Kenmore Smart Window AC||8000||350||3 Speed||AC|
|Amana 15V Window AC with Remote||15,000||700||3 Speed||AC|
|Friedrich Chill Series AC Unit||5200||150||3 Speed||AC|
|Frigidaire Compact Window Air Conditioner||10,000||450||4 Speed||AC|
|KoldFront Window AC Unit With Heat||12,000||450-550||4 Speed||AC|
|Frigidaire FFRA1222R1||12,000||550||3 Speed||AC|
Top 10 Best Window Air Conditioners Reviews
Now that we’ve had an overview of the top window AC units, let’s take a deeper look into the products themselves. We’ve given a brief summary and a list of the the pros and cons of each model.
Best 5000 BTU Window Air Conditioner
The HomeLabs 5,000 BTU Window AC unit is perfect for smaller rooms and spaces that don’t get too hot. Rated to keep 150 square feet icy cold, this is the best 5000 BTU window air conditioner on the market.
- Comes with a 7-speed fan, two way air flow, and adjustable settings for ultimate temperature customization
- Features a reusable eco filter that keeps the air clean and makes maintenance a breeze
- Comes with HomeLabs 10 minutes to cool your room guarantee
- There have been a small number of reports on quality control issues
Best 6000 BTU Window Air Conditioner
LG is a leader in home appliances and the LG 6,000 is no exception! Capable of cooling up to 260 square feet while removing nearly 2 pints of humidity per hour, this unit is the best 6000 BTU window air conditioner from a respectable brand.
- Features 3 cooling and fan speeds for unrivalled power and ships with auto cool for ease of use
- LG’s unique energy saving functionality means you’ll save money while doing right by the environment
- Comes with a remote control for simplicity and distance tuning
- The LG 6,000 is notoriously difficult to install
Best Small Window Air Conditioner
The Whirlpool 5,000 is the best small window air conditioner on our list. It’s just the right size for small rooms, and the price is right on point! The Whirlpool utilizes mechanical controls to keep the costs down, but it gets the job done with no complaints.
- Cools rooms up to 150 square feet and is rated at 1 pint per hour dehumidification
- The mechanical dial supports two separate fan speeds
- Incredibly easy installation process thanks to a 6 foot power cord and a simple 115V outlet requirement
- Controls are mechanical and the Whirlpool 5,000 is not as powerful as many other units
Best Window Air Conditioners 2018
The Della 8,000 is a fantastic window air conditioner for medium sized rooms. It ships standard with a remote control and is energy star certified! One of the best 8,000 BTU window air conditioners of this year. Due to consumer ratings on Amazon and other platforms, we gave this the award for best window air conditioner 2017.
- The Della 8,000 both cools and cleans the air as it circulates into the room
- Comes with a comprehensive installation kit to ensure that no hot air is able to seep in from outside
- Easy wash filter can be cleaned with ordinary soap and water when the change light comes on
- There have been a small number of quality control issues with the Della 8,000
Best 8000 BTU Window Air Conditioner
The Kenmore 8,000 Smart Window AC Unit is an excellent choice for any home! With its own app that integrates beautifully with Amazon’s Alexa, the Kenmore 8,000 is the AC unit of the future. Plus, with all its amazing specs, it tops the list as the best 8000 BTU window air conditioner of 2019.
- You can control and monitor the Kenmore 8,000 from anywhere with the Kenmore Smart AC app for phone or tablet
- Easily cools roughly 400 square feet of space thanks to its powerful 3 speed fan option
- An added bonus is Kenmore’s incredible customer support team, always there when you need them
- Given the recent advent of smart home tech, the Kenmore 8,000 can be a little buggy
Best 15000 BTU Window Air Conditioner
The most powerful and best rated window air conditioner on our list, the Amana 15,000 is a force to be reckoned with! Keeping rooms up to 700 square feet icy cold, the Amana is a great choice for big family homes. Ranks as the best 15,000 BTU window air conditioner for the money.
- Comes with 3 cooling speeds and an auto operation option for hassle free usage
- Ships with a 6 foot power cord that plugs into a standard 115V outlet, so no worries about difficult installations
- Comes with a sleek and intuitive onboard electronic display for easy access and simple customization
- Quality control may be a small issue with many mentions of damaged packaging upon arrival
Best Rated Window Air Conditioner
The Friedrich Chill 5,200 is an incredible offering at a great price point. Its powerful fans and ultra-quiet operation makes the Chill 5,200 one of the best window unit air conditioners on our list!
- Powerful 5,200 BTUs will chill a room up to 150 square feet in a matter of minutes
- Comes with Friedrich’s unique technology that works to cut down and minimize white noise
- Simple control settings and an intuitive display make it super easy to operate
- With only 5,200 BTUs, you won’t be able to cool larger size rooms with this unit
Best 10000 BTU Window Air Conditioner
The Frigidaire 10,000 is an energy star certified 115V window mounted AC unit perfect for cooling large rooms up to 450 square feet! With a slim profile, exceptional ratings, and a host of bonus perks, you’re sure to stay cool all summer long.
- 10,000 BTU rating means the Frigidaire has a ton of power and can cool large family rooms
- Incredibly easy installation gets even better thanks to the Frigidaire’s standard 115V electrical outlet- your standard plug will do
- Dehumidifies up to 3 pints per hour for faster and more efficient cooling, making it one of the best 10,000 BTU window air conditioners
- The Frigidaire 10,000’s fan can be a little noisy
Best Window Air Conditioner With Heat
KoldFront’s 12,000 BTU AC unit tops our list as the best window air conditioner with heat! With roughly 500 feet of coverage, the Kenmore 12,000 is a powerful appliance perfect for all times of year.
- Sports a 12,000 BTU cooling apparatus and 11,000 BTU of heating power, making it great for any weather
- Features 4 operation modes and a remote control for distance use
- Comes with KoldFront’s installation hardware and weather stripping seals
- KoldFront’s customer service isn’t the best, so be sure you’re ready to tackle the installation alone
Best 12000 BTU Window Air Conditioner
Frigidaire pulls it off with their incredible 12K BTU window air conditioning unit! This beast of a machine will cool up to 550 sq/ft without breaking a sweat. At such a fantastic price, this is definitely the best 12000 BTU window air conditioner on our list.
- Comes with multi speed controls and a 24 hour on/off timer
- Features modes like energy efficiency, auto cool, sleep, and more
- Ships with 8-way air direction for unbelievable cooling and powerful ventilation
- Quickly fills with residue and needs to be regularly cleaned
How Do Window Air Conditioners Work?
A window air conditioner is a single room cooling unit specifically designed to fit inside a window opening. It operates by pulling the air from outside the house and pumping it inside via a set of onboard fans and a cooling apparatus.
The cooling apparatus works by removing the heat from the air. This is done through a process that utilizes a compressor to pressurize and heat the liquid cooling chemicals inside your AC unit. After the chemicals are heated, a condenser dissipates the heat as it travels up towards an expansion valve.
Window Air Conditioner Diagram
And that’s when things start to get cool! The chemicals are now icy cold, and they flow down into an evaporator coil positioned right in front of the main AC fan. As the fan circulates the air from outside, the air is cooled by the evaporator coil.
The fan pushes the air out into your room, and voila! Your room starts to cool.
Depending on your AC settings, this goes on until an optimum room temperature has been achieved.
Types of Window Air Conditioners
Most window air conditioners allow you to set a specific temperature on the unit’s display. Once the air in the room reaches a certain degree, the AC unit actively maintains it by reading the room temperature and adjusting the cooling (or heating) output appropriately.
In general, window AC units contain up to 3 main temperature options depending on the unit you buy.
Window Air Conditioner Modes
- Cooling. This pulls the air from outside and cools it down before circulating it throughout the room.
- Fan mode. This simply draws the air in from outside and releases in into the room, while removing any stale air.
- Heating. This pulls the air in and heats it before hot air dissipates throughout the room. This is great in the cooler months.
In terms of power, window air conditioning units are measured by BTU.
BTU, or British Thermal Unit, is the amount of heat required to raise a single pound of water by a single degree.
In plain English, this simply means that your air conditioner BTU rating is crucial for measuring how much heat the AC unit can remove from the room. Generally speaking, the higher BTU units are more powerful and effective.
You must choose the appropriate window air conditioner for the size of the room you’re installing it. As an overall guide, you’ll want to stick to the following measurements:
- 200 sq/ft: 6000 recommended BTU
- 400 sq/ft: 9000 recommended BTU
- 600 sq/ft: 13000 recommended BTU
- 800 sq/ft: 15000 recommended BTU
- 1000 sq/ft: 18000 recommended BTU
After 1000 square feet, you’ll want to increase your BTU by a few thousand units for each 200 sq/ft jump.
How to Pick a Window Air Conditioner For Your Room
There are many different styles of window AC units! Some units simply draw air from the outside and pump it in. Others cool the air down, and some even heat things up!
To make matters more difficult, there are a ton of different manufacturers out there. Frigidaire, Kenmore, LG, and more are all big players on the scene.
Regardless of the manufacturer, make sure to check that the actual style of the unit fits with the room. There are many bulky units that work great for pumping out tons of cool air, but they don’t look very good. On the flip side, some of the slimmer, more streamlined models simply can’t maintain the temperature you need.
Many units also have extra little perks and features that you’ll want to take into account as you’re browsing. These little bonuses can make or break your purchase, and you always want to get the best bang for your buck!
The great thing about window air conditioners is that they’re super easy to install. With just a handful of tools and an hour of work, you’ll be ready to keep cool anytime!
How to Install a Window Air Conditioner
One of the best features of window air conditioners is their ease of use and installation. The Youtuber, Geo, does a great job of showing you how quick and simple it is to start cooling your house after purchasing your unit:
The best window air conditioners are an incredibly important appliance. They will make your life happier and easier, and even add value to your home!
Just be sure to do your due diligence on any model you’re looking at. Good luck with your purchase, and stay cool!